Hot Tips: Area of Law

Managing Areas of Law on an engagement is one of our most common support request types received for Legal Panel Gateway. An Area of Law determines which providers can complete the work requested, which key personnel can be assigned to the engagement, and also affects invoicing.

So, can I change the Area of Law for a matter? What if it’s correct and I still can’t see the matter? How do I know if I’ve chosen the correct Area of Law?

Follow along below to troubleshoot the most common support questions and answers around Areas of Law. 


I’ve not engaged a legal service provider yet, and I’ve noticed the Area of Law is incorrect - can I change it?

Yes, you can because it is before transmission to the provider. Once you’ve selected a contract with a specific provider, you can’t change the Area of Law because it was part of the criteria for identifying the selected contract.


What if an engagement is offered with the wrong Area of Law?

Has the Provider accepted the order? 

Not yet - Recall the order, back to supplier selection, change the Area of Law, select the contract again and re-submit. 

Yes, they have - Please cancel the engagement and recreate it, selecting the correct Area of Law and re-offering it to the provider.

The providers are advised to reject all engagements that are offered with the incorrect Area of Law selected so the correct area can be re-submitted. 


The engagement was offered under the correct Area of Law, but the provider still can’t see it!

This may be an issue with Workgroup access rather than Area of Law. The good news is that this can be adjusted.

  • Change Resource (Before accepting the order)
  • Adjust individuals access to workgroups to ensure they have access to relevant orders.


I’m not sure which Area of Law is correct- how do I know what they cover?

Here’s a handy table outlining just that!


Administrative Law

Matters involving administrative law issues – i.e. judicial review of a merit review decision in the NSW Supreme Court. 

Common Law

In certain circumstances, a worker is able to make a common law claim under other legislation (MACA, CLA). If the worker is able to access these damages, they will be entitled to further heads of damages such as non-economic loss. The workers’ compensation legislation sets no limits on employers’ liability made under these types of claims.

Dust Diseases

Common law dust disease claims.

Icare Managed Claims

Where a worker has suffered an injury and the employer is uninsured, the claim will be managed by icare through the Uninsured Liability and Indemnity Scheme (ULIS). 

Statutory Workers Compensation

Statutory benefits available under the Workers Compensation Act 1987 and Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Act 1998. For example, weekly payments, medical expenses, lump-sum compensation etc.

Third Party Recoveries

Third party recoveries apply where the compensable injury was caused under circumstances creating a liability in some other person other than the worker’s employer. The worker is able to take proceedings against both the workers' compensation insurer and the other person but cannot retain both damages and statutory compensation. The workers’ compensation legislation allows the Scheme to recover from third parties that have a liability related to a workers’ compensation claim. [also see common law claims].

Work Injury Damages

Modified common law damages against a negligent employer for loss suffered as a result of the work injury. Workers are limited to recovering economic loss (past and future) and only where they have a permanent impairment of 15 per cent or more.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.