To perform this procedure you need all of the following roles:
Matter Manager + Contract Administrator + Job Originator + Scheduler
Using the Matter Creation Wizard guides the user in the creation of the Matter, Engagement and Deliverables. The Matter is then transmitted to the selected Provider for their response (accept/reject).
Before you begin
If you intend to create an Engagement and Deliverable Order as part of the matter, respective Work Type Templates must already be set up.
- On the LPG menu, select Matter > Create Matter.
The Create New Matter Wizard screen appears.
- Under the Normal Workflow heading, select Create Matter.
- Click the Submit
The Create New Matter Wizard screen appears.
- N1 - Complete the information in each tab (starting from the Matter Details tab).
- N2 – As each tab is completed, more information about the Matter is displayed in the banner section.
- N3 - Click the Continue button to progress to the next tab to the right. As each tab is completed, a green tick appears on the tab (in the example shown below the Matter Details tab has been “ticked”).
- N4 – Click the Back button to move back to edit the information in the previous tab (to the left).
Do not use your Web browser Back button to return to the previous tab.
The Matter is not created until you get past the Preview Matter tab. If you navigate away from the Create New Matter Wizard before you get to this stage (or you leave the computer idle and you are automatically logged out of LPG), the Matter will NOT be created. You will have to start this procedure again.
Fields that have a red asterisk * next to them are mandatory (cannot be left blank).
An Advanced section is available on the first two tabs where additional information can be recorded against the Matter.
Step 1 – Fill in Matter Details
- Enter the Matter Name and Description. The Matter Name is mandatory and should contain information that will allow you to identify the Matter when it is included in a list. The Matter Description can contain additional information to describe the Matter which may assist you when searching for your Matter.
- If relevant, enter a Purchase Order No.
- By default, today’s date is automatically entered as the Matter Start Date. If required, modify the date by typing the date or clicking the Calendar icon .
- Enter the estimated Matter End Date by typing the date or clicking the Calendar icon .
NOTE: All tasks and Deliverables created for the Matter need to fall within the Matter Start and End Dates. While there is no limit on the Matter duration, try to estimate the End Date accurately. The Matter End Date can be edited afterwards as required.
- The initial Matter Budget Estimate may be entered.
If it is left blank, the Matter Budget will be automatically populated once there is an approved Engagement Budget. An alternative approach is to invite Providers to quote on the Matter then select the acceptable quote. See topic Invite Providers to Quote on a Matter for details.
Using Templates: There are various types of templates that can be created to save time by automatically populating the data when following workflows in LPG. If templates are not in use at your organisation, select No at the next question.
- If Matter Templates have been created, you can select one to populate the Matter as follows:
a) Click the Yes radio button.
The Select Matter Template button is displayed.
b) Click the Select Matter Template
The Select Matter Template window opens with a list of available templates displayed.
NOTE: If no templates are listed, you will be able to create your own template for subsequent use. You will only be able to see and use templates that you have created. See topic Create Matter Template for details
c) Click Select next to the template you wish to use.
The Select Matter Template window closes and the display returns to the Create New Matter Wizard screen. The data from the template is copied into all the relevant tabs of the Matter.
- If it has not been populated from a Template, select the Matter Work Type from the drop down list. This is mandatory information.
- The Work Required for field identifies the Workgroup that will be responsible for managing the Matter. Select the Workgroup with which the Matter is to be associated from the drop down list. Only Workgroups that you are a member of will be listed. This is mandatory information.
- There may be additional attribute fields on the Matter details If relevant, fill the additional fields in. Those with a red asterisk * next to them are mandatory and you will not be able to continue unless you provide a value.
13. In this example, Claim Number is a mandatory attribute field for the customer. Enter the Claim Number for this Matter.
14. If more detail needs to be recorded about the Matter do the following:
a). Click the icon next to the Advanced
Additional fields are displayed.
b) Fill in the required fields. If any fields do not have a red asterisk next to them, you can proceed without entering this information however, if it is available, recording it provides a more complete picture of the Matter. Note: This information can be added or changed after the Matter has been created.
15. To finish the Matter Details step, click the Continue
- N1 – Some of the Matter Details that you entered are displayed at the top of the screen.
- N2 - Focus moves to the Order Template tab. A green tick appears on the Matter Details tab to indicate that this step has been completed.
Step 2 – Fill in Order Template
The Order Template provides you with the ability to specify default values for all orders created within this Matter.
- If it has not been populated from a Template, select the Client’s State from the drop down list.
- To find your suburb and postcode do the following:
a) Click the Find icon next to the Town / Postcode.
The Location Assistant window opens.
- N1 – Use the page controls to jump to different pages within the list.
- N2 – Type in any of the filters to limit the contents of the list. In the example shown below, typing “P” in the Suburb filter (then press ENTER on the keyboard) causes the list to display Suburbs starting with “P”.
b) Click Select next to the required Suburb.
The Location Assistant window closes.
- N1 - The selected Suburb and Postcode are inserted into the Order Template.
- Type the Client’s street Address.
4. To include additional information/directions to the Provider do the following:
a) Tick the box to activate the text input field.
b) Enter the details into the text field (maximum of 500 characters).
NOTE: This text will be displayed on every Order associated with this Matter.
- The Advanced Order information is typically automatically filled in and doesn’t need to be edited. If editing is required, click the icon next to the Advanced heading to display the Advanced fields and edit as required.
- Click the Continue
Step 3 – Create Engagement
N1 - Focus moves to the Create Engagement tab. A green tick appears on the Order Template tab to indicate this step has been completed.
By default the Matter Wizard is set to bypass the Create Engagement step (option “No” selected). If you do not create an Engagement, you will not be able to create a Deliverable and clicking the Continue button will progress you to the Preview Matter tab. Engagements and Deliverables can be created once the Matter has been created but this is a longer process.
If the engagement has not been selected from a Template, to create the Engagement, do the following:
- Click the Yes
Select a Work Type Template to define your Engagement Order is displayed.
- Click the Find icon .
The Select Work Type Template window opens with a list of relevant Engagement templates. These have been setup for you company during the initial LPG configuration but additional templates can be created by your System Administrator, if required.
- Click Select next to the required Work Type.
The Select Work Type Template window closes. The Engagement details for the selected Work Type are displayed.
- The Service Period End is the estimated end date of the Engagement. By default it is automatically set to match the Matter End Date. If required, modify the date by typing the date in or clicking the Calendar icon .
- If required, enter the Engagement Budget. (This will be initial budget for the Engagement which can be updated once it has been reviewed by the Legal Firm. The Legal Firm will submit a variation request if the budget needs to be changed).
|NOTE: If the budget you enter exceeds your delegation level, the Engagement will automatically be escalated for Manager Approval. See topic Recall Escalated Order from Manager for more details.|
6. Select the Panel Type and Area of Law from the drop down lists.
Once the Panel Type and Area of Law have been selected, the Recommended Provider and list of Alternative Providers (lower part of the Create Engagement tab) is populated with potential Providers. Information about each Provider is displayed such as Compliance status, Star Rating, summary of results and budget.
7. If no recommended provider is provided, to select a provider from Alternative Provider list, do the following:
a) Click Select next to the required Provider.
b) Click the Save and Continue
The Attention window closes and the Alternative Provider’s Contract and Name are displayed as the selected Provider.
8. The filters in the Alternative Provider heading can be used, if desired, to further narrow down the list of potential Providers.
- Contract # - enter a partial number to find Providers with matching Contract numbers.
- Status – select from the drop down list to only display Providers with a specific status (e.g. Active).
- Provider Name - enter a partial name to find matching Providers.
- Star Rating – select from the drop down list to only display Providers with a specific Star Rating.
9. If desired, the Contract with the Provider can be viewed by clicking the Contract #.
Nominate a Key Person:
If you wish a specific Key Person at the Provider firm to handle the matter, you can follow the procedure in step 10 below to nominate that person. Otherwise, skip step 10 and allow the Provider to allocate the Key Person when they accept the Matter.
10. To nominate the Key Person at the provider firm to handle the Matter do the following:
a) Click the Find icon next to the selected Provider.
The Pick Key Person window opens with a list of personnel from the selected Provider displayed.
b) Select the person’s name in the Key Person
Now that the Key Person is selected, a list of names is displayed in the Alternative Key Person column.
c) If relevant, select the name of an Alternative Key Person to handle the Matter. (If the Key Person is not available to handle the Matter, your choice of preferred Alternative Key Person will be visible to the Legal Firm.)
d) Click the Submit
The Pick Key Person window closes and the display returns to the Create Matter Wizard screen.
- N1 - The names of the selected Key Person and Alternative Key Person are displayed. When the Matter is transmitted to the Provider and they accept it, they will have the ability to change the Key Person assigned to the order if that person is not available).
11. To finish the Create Engagement step, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click the Continue
Step 4 – Create Deliverable
By default the Matter Wizard is set to bypass the Create Deliverable step (No option selected). To skip to the Preview Matter step, click the Continue button.
If this has not been populated from a Template, On the Create Deliverable tab you specify what Deliverables the Provider must submit for this Matter. A typical Matter might require, for example, the following two documents: Program and Initial Advice.
- To add Deliverables to the Matter, click the Yes option.
Deliverable Order 1 is added to the screen.
For each Deliverable that needs to added do the following:
- Click the Find icon .
The Select Work Type Template window opens with a list of Deliverables displayed.
- Click Select next to the required Deliverable.
The Select Work Type Template window closes and the display returns to the Create Matter Wizard screen. The Service Period End date is the date by which the Deliverable should be submitted. A default date is automatically entered based on the type of Deliverable you selected. For example, the default submission date for a Program document might be 3 business days after the start date of the Deliverable Order.
- If necessary, you can modify the date by typing the date or clicking the Calendar icon .
NOTE: The Service Period End is the estimated end date of the Deliverable Order. It cannot be later than the Matter End Date.
- To add another Deliverable to the Matter, click the Add Another Deliverable
Deliverable Order 2 is added to the screen.
- For each additional Deliverable that needs to be added to the Matter repeat steps 2 to 5.
A – To remove a Deliverable Order from the Matter, click the Remove icon in the header of the Deliverable Order.
- Once the necessary Deliverable Orders have been added to the Matter, click the Continue
Step 4 – Preview Matter
- N1 - Focus moves to the Preview Matter tab. A green tick appears on the Create Deliverable tab to indicate this step has been completed
- Check that all the details on the Preview Matter screen are correct.
- If anything needs editing, use the Back button to move back through the tabs.
- To create the Matter, Engagement and Deliverable Orders, click the Create Matter
A confirmation window opens.
- Click the OK
Step 5 – Go to the Matter
- N1 - Focus moves to the Results tab. A green tick appears on the Preview Matter tab to indicate this step has been completed.
- N2 –The Matter is now created and also the Engagement (if specified) and Deliverable Orders (if specified). The status of the Engagement and Deliverable Orders are set to [NOT YET ACCEPTED] indicating that the Matter is now on the Provider side for them to either accept or reject.
- N3 – At this point, you can view the Matter by clicking the Go to this Matter button.
If supporting documentation must be attached to the Matter, click the Go to this Matter button (N3) to attach documents on the Documents tab of the Matter. See topic Attach Documents to a Matter or Order for details.
Note: An Engagement document has been automatically generated by the LPG system in the Matter creation process that provides details of the Engagement between the Client and the Provider. This document can be viewed once you move to the Matter but is only available to the Provider once they accept the Engagement.
Tips & Troubleshooting
IMPORTANT: Creating and using Matter Templates will streamline the Matter creation process by pre-populating information that does not change, such as your address details.
Selecting defaults in your Project Order will streamline the order creation process.
Clicking the checkbox next to each field allows you to enter data into that field which will be automatically populated on new orders. These are default values that can be changed during the order creation process, if required.
Using the Service Period End Date calculator will enable you to automatically calculate the order end date based on an order duration.
NOTE: Documents can be attached at a later time. After the Provider has accepted the Engagement, they can also attach supporting documents to the Matter for the Client to view. See topic Attach Documents to a Matter or Order for details.